Titles, Honours and Major Awards
* Padma Bhushan, 2002
* Padma Shri, 1975
* Doctorate by Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu in 1989.
* D.Litt by Kerala University, Kerala in 2003.
* D.Litt by Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala in 2009.
* Asthana Gayakan (Official Singer) by Government of Kerala
* Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1992
* Asthana Vidwan (Official Teacher) by Udupi, Sringeri, and Raghavendra mutts.
* Sangeetha Sagaram (Music Ocean) in 1989.
* Sangeetha Chakravarthy (Music Emperor) in 1988 by Pallavi Narasimachary.
* Sangeetha Raja (Music King) by Chembai in 1974.
* Sangeetha Ratna (Music Jewel) by Lt. Governor of Pondicherry M.M. Lakhera.
* Swathi Ratnam (Swathi Jewel).
* Sapthagiri Sangeetha Vidwanmani in 2002.
* Bhakti Sangita Geetha Sironmani in 2002.
* Gaana Gandharva.
* Geetanjali Award by The ex-president of India Neelam Sanjiva Reddy.
* Sur Singar Samsad Award in 1976.
* Kalaimamani Award by Government of Tamil Nadu.
* Star of India Award by Lt. Governor of Pondicherry M.M. Lakhera.
* National Citizens Award in 1994.
* Mar Gregorius Award Governor RL Bhatia in 2006.
* Kerala Ratna by Jaihind TV in 2008.
* The Annual Latha Mangeshkar Award by Government of Madhya Pradesh in 1992.
* Dr. Pinnamaneni and Seethadevi Foundation Award in 2000.
* Senate member in the International Parliament for Safety and Peace, an organization incorporated in the United States.
* An Honorary award for "Outstanding Achievements in Music and Peace" by UNESCO in 1999.
* Susheela National Music Award in 2009.
* National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer seven times by the Government of India.
* State Film Awards Twenty three times for the best Playback singer by the Government of Kerala.
* State Film awards Eight times for the best Playback singer by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
* State Film awards Five Times for the best Playback singer by the Government of Karnataka.
* State Film awards Six times for the best Playback singer by the Government of Andra Pradesh.
* State Film awards One time for the best Playback singer by the Government of West Bengal.
 National Awards
* 1972, Film Name: Achanum Bappayum, Language: Malayalam, Song: Manushyan Mathangale
* 1973, Film Name: Gaayathri, Language: Malayalam, Song: Padmatheerthame Unaru
* 1976, Film Name: Chitchor, Language: Hindi, Song: Gori Tera Gaon Bada
* 1982, Film Name: Megha Sandesam, Language: Telugu, Song: Aakasa Desana
* 1987, Film Name: Unnikale Oru Kadha Parayam, Language: Malayalam, Song: Unnikale Oru Kadha Parayam
* 1991, Film Name: Bharatham, Language: Malayalam, Song: Rama Kadha Gaana Layam
* 1993, Film Name: Sopanam, Language: Malayalam